The story of the Newbury & District Agricultural Society began in 1909 when it was formed to organise the county show. The Show replaced the existing local horse show, and in due course became the Royal County of Berkshire Show we know today.
The first ever ‘Newbury Show’ took place on 28th September that year (1909), at Enborne Gate Farm. With various homes over the years, including Elcot Park and Shaw, the Society eventually purchased the present site, now named ‘Newbury Showground’, Chieveley, in 1984.
Competitions in the old days included rick building, thatching, ploughing, shepherding, horses, cattle, corn, beets and general root cultivation, then introducing driving classes in 1911.
Today, the N&DAS is an incorporated Charity, with objectives relating to education and generally raising awareness of agriculture, horticulture, forestry, and rural crafts and businesses.
Our charitable objectives detailed in our Memorandum and Articles of Association can be viewed by clicking on this link.
From our home at Newbury Showground, the Society recognises its charitable aims and objectives through various events and programmes run throughout the year, including the N&DAS educational programme delivered throughout Berkshire, North Hampshire and South Oxfordshire, an annual ploughing match, and on farm competitions.